Citizenship: Double nationality French and Portuguese. Born 15/09/1971.
Phone (m): +447982851499.
PhD institution: The University of Edinburgh
- 2014–2017 | PhD student, The University of Edinburgh, UK.
PhD submitted March 2017 — viva in June 2017.
- 2014–2017 | Initiator and Director of the Crag Research Group, Initiator and Director of the Anthrobotics Cluster, The University of Edinburgh.
- 2014–2017 | Tutor in French Literature, The University of Edinburgh.
Degrees and Recognitions
- 2016 | Certificate with Honours, Summer School in The Regulations of Robotics in Europe: Legal, Ethical and Economic implications, School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- 2016 | First Prize in the 3-Minute-Thesis Competition of the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures at the University of Edinburgh.
- 2015 | Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, HEA, UK.
- 2007 | Master 2 in Philosophy, Paris I–Sorbonne, Paris, France. Dissertation published as a book in French and translated as a peer-reviewed article in English (see below).
- 2003 | Master 1 in Philosophy, Paris I–Sorbonne. Dissertation published as a book in French (see below).
- 1994 | Master of Business Administration, HEC–Paris (‘Best business school in Europe’, according to Financial Times), Jouy-en-Josas, France.
Recent Research Awards
- 2016 | The University of Edinburgh Researcher-Led initiative fund, awarded to the Anthrobotics Cluster (£1900).
- 2014–2017 | The university of Edinburgh Research PhD Scholarship Award (£26,000/year).
- 2015–2017 | UK French Institute Sponsorships, awarded to The Crag (£3000).
- 2015 | The University of Edinburgh Researcher-Led initiative fund, awarded to The Crag Research Group (£1500).
- 2014–17 | DELC Initiative awards, University of Edinburgh (£1500).
- 2014–2016 | The LLC Student-Led Initiative Fund, The niversity of Edinburgh (£800).
Teaching Experience and Teaching Accreditations
- 2017 | ‘Science goes Fiction’ Course, Lecture on the history and philosophy of technology, KTH university, Stockhol, Sweden.
- 2016–2017 | Lectures on French literature, the University of Edinburgh.
- 2014–2016 | French literature, French language Courses, Undergraduates year 2 and 4, University of Edinburgh.
- 2015 | Creative Writing, Ethics and French Philosophy Courses, Oxbridge Academic Program, Paris, France.
- 2015 | Associate Fellowship Accreditation (UK Higher Education Academy).
- 2014 | Creativity Course, Ecole Media Art, Châlon-sur-Saône, France.
- 2013 | Literature and French class, substitute teacher, Lycée Saint-Louis, Stockholm, Sweden.
Other Extra-Academic Work Experience
- 2012–2014 | Founder and manager of Haute Culture Books, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2004–2012 | Editorial director, book editor, strategic adviser, and co-owner, Max Milo Editions, Paris, France.
- 1997–2003 | Cultural reporter, book critic, journalist. Interviews of José Saramago (Nobel Prize), Joyce Carol Oates, Jim Harrison, Jonathan Franzen, Michel Serres, Jonathan Coe, Pierre Bourdieu, etc.
Peer-Reviewed Articles or Chapters
- 2018 (to be published)| ‘Big Data, Small Concepts: Histosophy as an Approach to Longue-Durée History’, Global Intellectual History,With Dr. Emile Chabal.
- 2017 (to be published) | ‘On the Concept of Creal: Ethical Promises of a Non-Teleological Creative Universal’, in The Dark Precursor: Deleuze and Artistic Research, Orpheus Institute Series, Leuven University Press.
- 2016 | ‘We, Anthrobot: Learning from Human forms of Interaction and Esprit de Corps to Develop More Diverse Social Robotics’, Proceedings of Robophilosophy 2016, IOS Press. With Dr. Ram Ramamoorthy and Dr. Michael Rovatsos.
- 2016 | ‘Life is Strange and “Games are Made”: A Philosophical Interpretation of a Multiple-Choice Existential Simulator’, Games and Culture.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de Corps and the French Revolutionary Crisis: A Prehistory of the Concept of Solidarity’, Forschungsportal, University of Vienna.
- 2013 | ‘Is a new life possible? Deleuze and the lines’, Deleuze Studies.
Authored publications | Books
- 2012 | L’être et le néon (a cultural and intellectual history of neon signs), Max Milo, Paris, France.
- 2011 | Qui a tué le poète? (a novella), Max Milo, France. Translated into Turkish (Galata Editions, 2012), and English (Who Killed the Poet, Snuggly Books, USA, 2017).
- 2010 | L’art d’être libres au temps des automates (a cultural and intellectual history of digital machines), Max Milo, France.
- 2008 | Paridaiza (a novel), Plon, Paris, France.
- 2008 | Une vie nouvelle est-elle possible? Deleuze et les lignes, academic essay, Nous, Caen, France. Translated into English as Is a New Life Possible? Deleuze Studies, Edinburgh University Press, 2013.
- 2007 | Peut-on jouir du capitalisme ?, philosophical and political essay, Punctum, Paris, France.
- 2003 | Ego trip, ou La Société des artistes sans oeuvre, philosophical and cultural essay, Max Milo, France.
- 2002 | Moment magnétique de l’aimant (a novella), La Chasse au Snark, Paris, France.
- 2001 | A vide (a novel), Denoël, Paris, France.
- 2000 | Le Spray, (a novella), Calmann-Lévy, Paris, France
- 1998 | La Mémoire de Ruben (a novella), Gamma Press, Belgium. Translated into Arabic, (Walidoff Editions, Tunisia, 2010).
- 1997 | Joie, a novel, Le Temps des Cerises, Paris, France.
- 2012 | ‘A Thousand Years of Fluoritude’, in Néon, Le néon dans l’art des années 1940 à nos jours, Exhibition Catalogue, Archibooks, Paris, France. I helped curate this international exhibition and the text is based on my philosophical history of neon signs, L’être et le néon. Translated into English and Italian.
Publications as a translator
- 2013 | Felicity, Haute Culture books. Translation from French into English of Un Coeur simple, a tale by Gustave Flaubert.
- 2005 | Adoration, Max Milo, France. Translation from English (USA) into French of Milk, a novella by Darcey Steinke.
Invited Talks and Master Classes
- 2017 | Anthrobotics, KTH University, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2016 | Anthrobotics, University of Skövde, Sweden.
- 2016 | Public presentation: ‘All for One, but Which One?’, Just Festival, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2015 | Public presentation: ‘A Cultural History of Neon Signs’, Explorathon, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2015 | ‘What is crealism?’, Oxbridge Academic Program, Paris, France.
- 2014 | Master class on creative writing, Stockholm University, Sweden.
- 2014 | Master class on creation and crealism, Ecole Media Art, Châlon-sur-Saône, France.
- 2012 | Creative Writing Master class, Clandestino Institut, Göteborg, Sweden.
- 2012 | ‘L’être et le néon’, Institut de Physique du Globe, Nuit des Savoirs, Nuit Blanche, Paris, France.
- 2012 | ‘The cultural history of neon lights’, Public Seminar, Café des Fous, Paris, France.
- 2011 | ‘Avez-vous le sens des créalités?’, University of Lille, France.
- 2010 | ‘What is crealism?’ University of Reykjavik, Iceland.
- 2008 | French literature Symposium on Solitude, Guest of Honour, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Selected Conference Presentations
- 2016 | ‘We, Anthrobot: Learning from Human forms of Interaction and Esprit de Corps to Develop More Diverse Social Robotics’, Robophilosophy Conference, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de Corps: The Secret of Collective Action’, How to Act Together, Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory, University of Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2015 | ‘On the Concept of Creal: Ethical Promises of a Non-Teleological Creative Universal’ | Dare 2015, Orpheus Institute, Ghent, Belgium.
- 2015 | ‘Out of Focus: Existentialism Through the Lens of the French Videogame Life is Strange’, University of Newcastle, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Towards a New Frontier of the Self? A Genealogy of Esprit de Corps’ Society for European Philosophy, University of Dundee, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Can Esprit de Corps Recreate Our Lives?’, Deleuze Studies International Conference, Konstfack University College, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2015 | ‘The birth and growth of ‘esprit de corps’: studying the impact of an idiom and an idea on French History’, Society for the Study of French History Conference, University of St Andrews, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de corps: a universal anti-universalistic concept’, Cultural Literacy in Europe Conference, University of Birkbeck, UK.
- 2015 |‘Esprit de corps: A Prehistory of the notion of Solidarity’, Graceh Conference, University of Vienna, Austria.
- 2015 | ‘One for all, all for the Nation: the 18th century French invention of ‘esprit de corps’ and its propagation into the English language’, British Society For Eighteenth-Century Studies Conference, Oxford University, UK.
- 2012 | ‘Numérisme et créalisme: la dialectique du siècle à venir?’, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris, France.
- 2012 | ‘Les creations de réalités’, Colloque Frontières, Université de Pau, France.
- 2011 | ‘The crealist mode of power’, University of Toronto, Canada.
Selected Interviews of Luis de Miranda and Press Articles
- 2010–16 | Interviews of Luis de Miranda in The Oxford Philosopher, France Culture, Futurism, Robohub, Pantheon-Sorbonne Magazine, Dark Zero, Digitally Downloaded, Atlantico, Typographical Era, Open Democracy, La Tribune, BFM…
2011 | ‘Pour un moratoire sur les prix littéraires’, Le Monde.
- 2011 | ‘Un héros philosophique’, Libération.
- 2011 | ‘La speculation, maladie mentale de la Terre’, Libération.
- 2010 | ‘Wikileaks: Qui règne par le code tombera par le code’, Libération.
- 2008 | ‘Une civilisation de la fête et de l’oubli, Le Monde.
Conferences or Workshops Organised, Seminars or Talks Convened
- 2017 | Anthrobotics Workshop at The University of Edinburgh, Eidyn, Crag Research Group, LLC, School of informatics, The School of Philosophy, Oxford Human Centred Computing Group, French Institute UK.
- 2016 | 60 Years of Essentially Contested Concepts at The University of Edinburgh, Eidyn, The School of Philosophy, Crag Research Group, the Centre for The Study of Modern Conflict.
- 2015 | Creation of Reality International Conference | The Crag Research Group, The University of Edinburgh.
- 2015–2017 | Crag Interdisciplinary Seminar, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- 2012 | ‘L’être et le néon’, Multimedia public conference, Institut de Physique du Globe, Nuit des Savoirs/Nuit Blanche, Paris, France.
Recent Consultancies and Artistic Projects
- 2017–2018 | Editorial adviser, book on AI and Robotics, Ivy Press, UK.
- 2016 | Editorial adviser, Teaminside, Paris, France.
- 2012 | Historical adviser, First major international exhibition on Neon Art, Maison Rouge, Paris, France.
- 2004–2014 | Writer and director of short movies, including Nietzsche and Jesus: an Interview (near 40,000 views on YouTube).
Languages and hobbies
- Fluent (writing and speaking): French, English, Portuguese.
- Good skills in Swedish, Spanish, Italian.
- Basic German, Latin and some Ancient Greek.
- Occasional musician (piano, guitar), walks in forests.